At Knighton Mead Primary Academy, we believe art and design education should engage, inspire and challenge pupils, equipping them with the knowledge and skills to experiment invent and create their own works of art, craft and design. As pupils progress, they should be able to think critically and develop a more rigorous understanding of art and design. They should also know how art and design both reflect and shape our history, and contribute to the culture, creativity and wealth of our nation.
We follow the national curriculum for art and design aims to ensure that all pupils:
- produce creative work, exploring their ideas and recording their experiences
- become proficient in drawing, painting, sculpture and other art, craft and design techniques
- evaluate and analyse creative works using the language of art, craft and design
- Know about great artists, craft makers and designers, and understand the historical and cultural development of their art forms.
At Knighton Mead we aim to provide as much enrichment for the children to enhance their experiences and learning. In art and design we aim to do this through:
- Whole school art weeks – studying an artist per year group
- Sketchbooks that travel with children throughout the school so they can recognise their own progression
- Cross-curricular activities to support the delivery of Art and Design
Artists we study across the year groups:
Subject Policies/PlansDesign & Technology Policy